I've got a bind recursion DNS server setup that is returning the wrong
value for an outside domain that I also maintain and host on another server
running a bind DNS server.  Yet Google's DNS and other major DNS providers
respond with the correct IP address A record when querying.  I can't figure
out why my recursion enabled instance is not returning the correct IP
address for a specific host.  Rather, it returns the wildcard value from
the zonefile rather than the specifically specified A record entry created
for that host.

It appears bind to bind is returning the wildcard value for a specifically
defined host in the zonefile from the server it's hosted on.

Is this a recent bug in bind?  More information about my setup and issue
can be found here:

https://serverfault.com/questions/1136914/bind-recursion-dns-server-returning-wildcard-address-for-host-despite-exact-entr

>From what I found online, if there's a specific host A record entry
defined, it should always return that IP.  Wildcard is only for those not
defined.  Yet, when I remove the wildcard from the zonefile, my bind
recursion instance returns the correct value, but not when the wildcard
entry is there.  But Google and other major DNS providers return the
non-wildcard value as expected.

Any help is appreciated.