Hi Fred.
No, the sense is correct.
Imagine you have a server with a secondary zone of (say) "example.com",
which transfers data for that zone from a primary somewhere. The secondary
loads data received during a zone transfer straight into memory and uses it.
It is optional for the secondary to also write that data to a file on its
local storage, if you specify a "file" statement in the zone declaration.
Optional, but sometimes handy.

If the server currently being secondary for "example.com" does write that
zone to disc then it is easy to switch it to become primary because it
already has the zone file stored locally. Just change the "type", leave the
"file" statement alone and delete (or comment) the "primaries".

Does that help?
Greg