As far as I have been able to determine through some fairly extensive reading, a feature I depend on has fallen out of favor with the BIND developers, and is being removed. DNSSEC in 9.18 has two automatic actions where the original code had just one, and the second cannot be disabled.
I am referring to the deprecated feature:

|auto-dnssec maintain;|

||Originally (under the above command) RR records for DNSSEC were maintained by bind, but the ZSK and KSK keys were maintained by me.  This command is being discarded.  I understand that bind "sort of" supports this feature in 9.18 by allowing the DNSSEC policy statement to declare unlimited lifetime, but after careful reading of the documentation and reading a number of complaints, it turns out that bind may under various circumstances decide that it is appropriate not to use existing keys and decide that it knows best, and then it makes new ones.  This potential instability of course would be disastrous, and completely unnecessary.

I am sure there are the usual people that will assure me I don't or shouldn't want to do what I am doing, but I am experienced and have good reasons.  Yes I know that I can have bind update the DS records, but for good reason I definitely do not want to do that.  I need some syntax that assures my use of existing KSK and ZSK keys and prevents bind from changing them.

I wonder if the bind developers are open to allowing a command in the new policy statement structure that blocks this 'feature' of automatically updating ZSK and KSK?  If there is such a thing already, I will be delighted to hear that I had missed seeing it.

A lot of pain and suffering in this world comes from people being sure they have a 'better idea' and everybody needs to do whatever.  This feels a bit like that.  A command that gives choice and real certainty would be great.