As Ondrej said.  Upgrade.  You compiled BIND 9.18.0.  That is 27 release behind
current.  Unless you are doing archaeological investigations of old code you
shouldn’t be trying to use old code like that.  Running newer code means that
you can avoid all the bugs that have been fixed in the meantime.

Named logs what it finds wrong to syslog by default.  Read your logs.  You can
also run named in the foreground and send the logs to stderr.

named -g -c /etc/named.conf’

Due to Linux’s co-operating processes as its threading model, named can’t just
daemonize once it has finished its startup phase.  It has to daemonize then
finish its startup.  The parent process waits for the startup to complete and
then exits with an appropriate error code.  Somewhere in that startup something
has failed.

Mark

> On 21 May 2024, at 14:10, avijeet gupta <avijeet.gu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My Apologies. I was just trying to show the snippet of bind library code
> where named was failing.
>
> I am trying to run named after compiling the bind library. The command I use
> to run named is as follows:
>
> /bin/named -c /etc/named.conf
>
> It appears that it is failing when it tries to daemonize named. what could be
> causing it ?
>
> named will eventually run as daemon in my dns server.
>
> Please let me know if more information is needed.
>
> Thanks,
> Avi
>

> On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 10:47 AM Ondřej Surý <ond...@isc.org> wrote:
>> Can someone please help what could be the issue here?
>

> Not really. First start by using the latest 9.18 version and not something
> that’s two years old and then you need to provide more information than a
> screenshot of random code snippet. If you want free help you need to provide
> information about what you are actually doing.
>
> This old essay is still true:
> https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
>
> Ondrej
> --
> Ondřej Surý — ISC (He/Him)
>
> My working hours and your working hours may be different. Please do not feel
> obligated to reply outside your normal working hours.
>
>> On 20. 5. 2024, at 17:55, avijeet gupta <avijeet.gu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I compiled bind-9.18.0 successfully but when I try to run named via
>> configuration file, named exits with return code 1.
>>
>> The below code in bin/named/os.c is where it is failing.
>>
>> <image.png>
>>

>> When i run named with gdb , i see that it is exiting in the above code.
>>
>> Can someone please help what could be the issue here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Avij
>>
>> --
> --