Hi All,

Seiche Training currently have limited spaces for two Research Trip
opportunities:

  1.  Discover the Singing Whales of Ireland 3-10 June
The aim of this survey is to obtain data on marine mammal acoustics along the
inshore waters of South West Ireland. The field trips will be conducted on a
dedicated research vessel whist the theory and data analysis will be conducted
in a research house. This research trip is open to anyone who has a love for
marine wildlife and a thirst for adventure. Whether you are a student, graduate
or wildlife enthusiast, all are welcome!
You will be trained to:
Deploy hydrophones for passive acoustic monitoring of marine mammals, Identify
and record marine mammal acoustics, Conduct on-board surveys of marine mammal
species occurrenc, Photograph marine wildlife, Sea weed and Shore survey for
Coastwatch.
Data analysis is important to the success of any project. You will be entering
data into a specially designed database from Ireland's National Biodiversity
Data Centre, as well as preliminary data interpretation
Taking a short break from the survey work we will explore Cape Clear Island.
With its remote location coupled with its proximity to the continental shelf,
makes it the foremost centre for bird watching in Ireland. Whales, leatherback
turtles, sun fish, dolphins and sharks are spotted regularly making it an ideal
location to relax and observe Irelands wildlife at its best.
All team members and participants share accommodation, house tasks, knowledge
and experience in an environmental friendly and multicultural environment.

  1.  Marine Mammal Surveyor Training Course, Falmouth, Cornwall 19-25 June
This NEW 7-day training course has been designed to provide course participants
with hands on experience in studying marine mammals via ACOUSTIC and visual
surveys.
Day 1 will be spent in the class room, learning how to plan and carryout a
survey on marine mammals! As well as diving into an in-depth knowledge of
marine mammals. We will then spend 5 full days out on a research vessel using
these skills to practice whilst exploring the Cornish coast to record and
identify marine life visually and acoustically. The final day will finish up
with data analysis, including working on the local Bottlenose Fin ID Project
and mapping species abundance!

Practical skills you will acquire:

  *   Survey design and planning

  *   Boat based effort monitoring
  *   Visual surveys for marine life
  *   Passive Acoustic Monitoring
  *   Fin ID Photographic identification
  *   Data collection, Data analysis and mapping techniques
The Cornish coast is a unique hot spot for our summer visitors, Risso's
dolphins and Minke whales, with the possibility of still having basking sharks
lurking around in the area.
Summer time is the BEST time of the year to record the smallest cetacean the
Harbour porpoise, which are residents around the coast all year. We also have
an inshore pod of bottlenose dolphins which roam the coastal waters of Cornwall
as well as an offshore pod which we can find further offshore. Common dolphins
are very common inshore and offshore. In offshore waters its typical to observe
SUPERPODS of common dolphins in huge feeding frenzy's!! Finally, Grey seals are
present in coastal waters all year & resting on haul out sites. Last year we
had rare sightings of fin whales, humpback whales and even a bow head whale, so
always expect the unexpected in Cornish waters!

As well as marine mammals, the course participants will learn about the huge
range of seabirds off Cornwall including the Gannets, Fulmars, Puffins, Skua's,
shearwaters and the Peregrine Falcon.
All team members and participants share accommodation, in an environmental
friendly and local self-catering accommodation in the award winning town
Falmouth.
We want to give course delegates the opportunity to work on a boat carrying out
marine wildlife surveys, gaining valuable skills that will benefit them in
their future academic or professional career. It is an incredible opportunity
for you to get involved in marine wildlife conservation and meet new people who
share your passion and interests.
For information on these courses contact:
i...@seichetraining.com<mailto:i...@seichetraining.com> or go to
http://www.seichetraining.com/research-trips/our-research-trips

Seiche Ltd
Stephanie Barnicoat
Business Support
Seiche Ltd
Bradworthy Industrial Estate, Langdon Road, Bradworthy, Holsworthy, Devon, EX22
7SF, United Kingdom

T: +44(0)1409 404050
E: s.barnic...@seiche.com
W: www.seiche.com
Registered in England & Wales No. 3475558, Registered
Office: The Custom House, The Strand, Barnstaple, Devon

The information contained in this
e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages
attached
to it, is privileged and confidential, and solely intended for the use of the
individual(s) to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient
you should not read, copy, distribute or otherwise use the information, and you
are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of
the information contained in or attached to this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify
sender immediately and delete this e-mail and attached documents.