Hi Valerie,

On Thu May 1 13:27:16 2014, Valerie Obenchain wrote:

I have some concerns about the *ExtraArgs() functions. Passing
flexible args to findOverlaps in the existing mode functions
fundamentally changes the documented behavior. The modes were created
to capture specific overlap situations pertaining to gene features
which are graphically depicted in the vignette. Changing 'maxgap' or
'minoverlap' will produce a variety of results inconsistent with past
behavior and difficult to document (e.g., under what circumstances
will IntersectionNotEmpty now register a hit).
Well, I wasn't so sure about those functions either. Obviously you can pass arguments that break things. They were mostly designed to be constructors for specific counting modes involving the minoverlap/maxgap arguments, but I decided I didn't need those modes after all. They're certainly not designed to be exposed to the user. I haven't carefully considered the interaction between the counting mode and maxgap/minoverlap, but I believe that it would be roughly equivalent to extending/shrinking the features/reads by the specified amount (with some differences for e.g. a feature/read smaller than 2*minoverlap). For example, with a read length of 100 and a minoverlap of 10 in Union counting mode, this would be the same as truncating the first and last 10 (or mabe 9?) bases and operating in normal Union mode. As I said, though, there may be edge cases that I haven't thought of where unexpected things happen.

I agree that controlling the overlap args is appealing and I like the
added ability to resize. I've created a 'chipseq' mode that combines
these ideas and gives what ResizeReads() was doing but now in 'mode'
form. If this implementation gives you the flexibility you were
looking for I'll check it into devel.

This sounds nice, but if I use the 'chipseq' mode, how do I specify whether I want Union, IntersectionNotEmpty, or IntersectionStrict? It looks like it just does Union? IntersectionStrict would be useful for specifying that the read has to occur entirely within the bounds of a called peak, for example. This is why I implemented it as a "wrapper" that takes another mode as an argument, so that the resizing logic and the counting logic were independent. Maybe summarizeOverlaps could accept an optional "read modification function", and if this is provided, it will pass the reads through this before passing them to the counting function. The read modification function would have to take any valid reads argument and return another valid reads argument. It could be used for modifying the reads as well as filtering them. This would allow resizing without the awkward nesting method that I've used.

A couple of questions:

- Do you want to handle paired-end reads? You coerce to a GRanges to
resize but don't coerce back.
For paired end reads, there is no need to estimate the fragment length, because the pair gives you both ends of the fragment. So if I had paired-end ChIP-Seq data, I would use it as is with no resizing. I can't personally think of a reason to resize a paired-end fragment, but I don't know if others might need that.

I corece to GRanges because I know how GRanges work, but I'm not as familiar with GAlignments so I don't know how the resize function works on GAlignments and other classes. I'm sure you know better than I do how these work. If the coercion is superfluous, feel free to eliminate it.

- Do you want to require strand info for all reads? Is this because of
how resize() anchors "*" to 'start'?
Yes, I require strand info for all reads because the reads must be directionally extended, which requires strand info. Ditto for counting the 5-prime and 3-prime ends.

-Ryan

chipseq <- function(features, reads, ignore.strand=FALSE,
inter.feature=TRUE,
type="any", maxgap=0L, minoverlap=1L,
width=NULL, fix="start", use.names=TRUE)
{
reads <- as(reads, "GRanges")
if (any(strand(reads) == "*"))
stop("all reads must have strand")
if (!is.null(width))
reads <- do.call(resize(reads, width, fix=fix,
use.names=use.names,
ignore.strand=ignore.strand))

ov <- findOverlaps(features, reads, type=type,
ignore.strand=ignore.strand,
maxgap=maxgap, minoverlap=minoverlap)
if (inter.feature) {
## Remove reads that overlap multiple features.
reads_to_keep <- which(countSubjectHits(ov) == 1L)
ov <- ov[subjectHits(ov) %in% reads_to_keep]
}
countQueryHits(ov)
}

To count the overlaps of 5' and 3' ends:

summarizeOverlaps(reads, features, chipseq, fix="start", width=1)
summarizeOverlaps(reads, features, chipseq, fix="end", width=1)

Valerie