This is probably a niche concern, but  I’d find it a pity if a good package
name (*) became unavailable forever, esp. if it refers to a real-world concept
not owned by the authors of the original package.
Perhaps we could allow re-using a name after a grace period (say 1 or 2 years)?
To be extra safe, one could also require the first version number of the new
package be much higher than the last version of the old (dead) package.

(*) One example I have in mind where we re-used the name of an extinct project
is rhdf5.

Kind regards
Wolfgang