Dear students,

I suggest you to join for a research program in a good institute. There is a
lot of manpower requirement in the industry but every job requires you to
have apt skills. First thing is to identify yourself to see in which field
you are having the potential. If you are good at programming then please be
in that direction only especially PERL or Python or Java. All these
languages require you to possess considerable expertise. The other areas are
Microarray data processing, Databases assembling, Protein chemistry etc.

The first thing I would suggest to all students is to join in the open
source drug discovery program (OSDD) network. Website (http://www.osdd.net).
You can start interacting with a lot of other students who are having
similar aspirations like you. You have dual benefit of joining this program.
First thing is you are developing your own bioinformatics skills in the area
of your choice. The next thing is you get publications without you having to
put all the effort. There are good subject experts who are the constant
source of inspiration. The senior members in the OSDD are always lending you
a helping hand.  The mission of OSDD is to find a good drug for tuberculosis
(their first mission). You can always feel proud that you had association
with such a noble mission to find a solution for such a big and grave
problem.

The students should also look out for trainings and programs conducted by
BTISnet throughout the year.
http://www.btisnet.gov.in/uniquepage.asp?ID_PK=21

You can also apply for Traineeship/Fellowship programs conducted by BTISnet.
The advertisements appear in Employment news paper during October or
November months.

http://www.btisnet.gov.in/uniquepage.asp?ID_PK=16

Prepare for DBT BET exam. This exam will help you to really test all your
knowledge.

http://oasis.mkcl.org/bet/StaticPages/HomePage.aspx

http://helpbiotech.net/fellowships/phd-fellowships/dbt-jrf-2010-dbt-bet-application-forms-dbt-jrf-apply-online/02/2010/

http://www.successcds.net/Entrance-Exam/BioInformatics-National-Certification-BINC-Examination.php

For Bioinformatics professionals there is a special examination conducted
jointly by University of Pune (UoP) on behalf of Department of Biotechnology
(DBT), Government of India.

http://www.successcds.net/Entrance-Exam/BioInformatics-National-Certification-BINC-Examination.php

There are other good private institutes also which can teach you in the
subject of your interest. Caution has to be taken to find a good and
competent faculty in this regard. Always enquire for the previous batches
and their present positions.

Nothing comes in this world for free. So please remember without hardwork
and dedication you cannot achieve your goal.

I will keep posting more on this.

Regards,

Dr. Y. Vishwakiran
Vishwa Bioservices,