Biotech financings bog down in slow season

Vancouver May 31-June 6, 2005; issue 814</a>

Biotech financings bog down in slow season

Soft U.S. market, aggressive short-selling blamed for slowdown in
fundraising

Glenn Drexhage

A pair of biotech financings from local companies underlines the
tough market conditions besetting the sector, a situation that
onlookers expect to continue over coming months.

"I think the market conditions are very difficult," said Carolyn
Cross, president and CEO of Vancouver's Ondine Biopharma Corp., one
of the firms to raise funds.

"This is not a time of the year when investors are ready to put more
money to work. Rather, they go into the summer months knowing that
the markets tend to trail off, go soggy until September.

"I think we are going to see interest in the biotech sector, but not
until later on this year."

On May 18, Ondine (OBP:TSX, AIM) -- which develops non-antibiotic
therapies for a range of infections -- announced the pricing for a
$12-million equity financing via agents Canaccord Capital Corp. and
Sprott Securities Inc.

A day earlier, MIGENIX Inc. (MGI:TSX; MGIFF:OTC), a Vancouver drug
development firm, said it had reduced the size of its previously
announced unit offering to $5 million from $15 million, citing
market conditions. There's also an option to raise the offering by
up to $3 million.

http://www.arizonabiotech.com/
http://smsac.blogspot.com/
http://www.azhttp.com/