http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/H4xqlB/TM

Biotechnology Training in NC boosted by full funding for NCCCS
BioNetwork

Raleigh - Legislators and the Governor showed their commitment to
promoting biopharmaceutical job education and training in North
Carolina by fully funding the North Carolina Community College
BioNetwork. In doing so, legislators made clear the importance of
growing 21st Century knowledge-based jobs in the state. North
Carolina is already ranked third in the US in biotechnology and is
home to some of the world's largest pharmaceutical and
biomanufacturing facilities. This industry creates about 3000 new
jobs a year in the state. The $7.1 million approved by the
legislature will sustain the momentum made by NCCCS BioNetwork in
providing the specialized workforce education and training that this
highly-regulated industry requires. Start-up funding for BioNetwork
was provided by Golden LEAF and continued funding from the
legislature was needed. North Carolina's Community College System
trains 70 percent of the workforce for the biopharmaceutical
industry, which has shown steady growth and is forecast to continue
doing so.

Community College System President H. Martin Lancaster said "one of
our System's highest priorities this session was to make sure that
the funding provided for in the past two years by the Golden LEAF
foundation to develop our BioNetwork was continued by a state
appropriation. We are pleased that the General Assembly fully funded
this request, recognizing the important role our colleges will be
playing in preparing the biotech workforce of the future. We also
appreciate the support of Golden LEAF during the past two years."

BioNetwork Director Susan Seymour thanked the legislature for its
leadership and foresight. "BioNetwork is closely watched by other
states and countries that realize the economic value our coordinated
approach provides to training for this industry. Last year's Milken
survey stated that the biopharmaceutical industry generated $1.3
billion for North Carolina. This legislative funding will help
BioNetwork retain, grow and attract this industry to North
Carolina," she said. "BioNetwork has already made an impact on site-
selection decisions, so this funding is strategic for North
Carolina."

Industry will also be pleased with the spending. In the past year,
already, the injection of funding from Golden LEAF into BioNetwork
enabled community colleges to ramp up training across the state.
Terence Novak, the Chief Marketing Officer for DSM, an international
contract manufacturer with a large facility in Greenville, NC, had
this to say at BIO International in Philadelphia; "BioNetwork has
been instrumental in helping us find a qualified workforce, and it
now takes much less time to train workers for our aseptic lines. Our
aseptic processing is state of the art, world class. It can take as
much as six months to train just one operator to go into the
facility to work on the line. The amount of time it takes now, with
BioNetwork, is much less and they can hit the ground running."

BioNetwork forms part of an initiative given $60 million in start-up
funding by Golden LEAF. The initiative, called the Biomanufacturing
and Pharmaceutical Training Consortium, is made up by the NCCCS
BioNetwork, North Carolina State University, and North Carolina
Central University. The consortium combines the resources of North
Carolina's university and community college systems to meet the
growing demands of the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries.
NCCU will host BRITE - the Biomanufacturing Research Institute and
Technology Enterprise in a new building on its campus. NC State will
host the BTEC - the Biomanufacturing Training and Education Center -
a commercial scale pilot plant at its Centennial Campus and it will
share that space with BioNetwork. The BioNetwork Capstone Center
will provide workforce training at the BTEC in the dedicated
community college aseptic suite. The Capstone Center is already
offering highly technical training to industry at its interim
facility at Wake Tech, with courses such as Microbial Identification
and Operations in Biotechnology Processes.

Of the $8.7 million the Community College System received from
Golden LEAF, $6.4 million has been distributed via 65 competitive
grants to community colleges statewide. The grants enabled colleges
to buy the specialized equipment required to train workers for the
biopharmaceutical industry as well as develop specialized curricula
and short courses, provide faculty enhancement and launch a student
recruitment campaign. Six Centers were created, providing the
necessary infrastructure and support to assist community colleges
further develop the education and training they offer. This
networking has enabled community colleges to grow the numbers of
students and workers they can train and numbers have shown a
positive upward trend. It will also allow community colleges to
remain up-to-date with the needs of this fast-changing industry.
More about BioNetwork can be found at its website
www.ncbionetwork.org

Research shows that industry growth - as is typical elsewhere in the
US - is outstripping the numbers of trained workers. The continued
funding by the legislature will enable BioNetwork to address
this. "Not only will we meet industry's needs, if a company
considers opening a facility in North Carolina, we will be able to
give them the assurance that by the time they open their doors, we
will have a pool of trained workers from which they can choose,"
said Seymour.

http://www.arizonabiotech.com/
http://www.azhttp.com/
http://www.bill-austin.com/