Hello!

The -R option basically prohibits local forwarding table cleanup before the BGP settles. It tries to not break your local routing by simply starting BIRD.

Maria

On 2023-10-16 18:44, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
Hi all,

I am using latest 2.x version of Bird and I have a question about  graceful
restart.

I have  `graceful restart on` for BGP protocol and I currently perform below
steps when I want to utilize it:
1. birdc graceful restart
2. systemctl start bird.service

According to the documentation I need `-R` command-line option, thus I have
adjusted systemd unit file accordingly:
```
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/bird -R -f -u bird -g bird
```

How does the aforementioned command-line option behave when `birdc graceful
restart` is not issued?
I scanned the code to understand it and I think bird is smart enough to know
that a graceful restarted was
not requested and it doesn't do anything during the startup.

While I was testing graceful restart functionality, I noticed that even without
the aforementioned command-line
option the upstream peer does not remove the routes until restart timeout
expires. So, I was wondering if that
option is real needed thus the question.

Regards,
Pavlos

--
Maria Matejka (she/her) | BIRD Team Leader | CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o.