On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 06:35:42PM +0500, Ivan wrote:
> Hello.
> I am using bird 1.6 on Linux.
> If I run the ripng protocol on the sit tunnel interface, until an IPv6
> LinkLocal address is assigned to the interface, the ripng protocol does not
> start (does not receive or send messages). Even if a static unicast IPv6
> address is assigned to the sit interface.
>
> Can ripng in bird 1.6 implementation use an interface with static unicast
> address but without LinkLocal ?

Hello

No, BIRD requires link-local IPv6 address on both sides for RIPng - it is
not active on ifaces without link-local address, and it ignores RIP
packets with source address that is not link local. This is required by
RIPng RFC (RFC 2080).

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Ondrej 'Santiago' Zajicek (email: santi...@crfreenet.org)