On 25 January 2024 08:34:36 CET, Jeroen Massar <jer...@massar.ch> wrote:

>> On 24 Jan 2024, at 11:08, Maria Matejka <maria.mate...@nic.cz> wrote:

>>> Generate the configs.
>>
>> Not only that, please split IPv6 and IPv4 filters, at least if these are
>> prone to frequent changes.
>>
>>> Especially when doing IRR filtering, one simply lets bgpq4 generate the
>>> filters
>>> and then drop those definitions into a bird include file, and generate the
>>> peers parts too.
>>
>> When doing IRR filtering, please export it as JSON and load it through RTR
>> mechanism. We support multiple ROA tables and this is exactly the use case
>> for it
>
>Mmm... do you mean IRR data (what bgpq4 generates from RPSL) or RPKI data
>(what rpki-client generates from ROAs) ?
>
>As yes, RPKI data we generate into a JSON file and then pass that to a RTR
>which serves it up to bird; but IRR data becomes filter statements ("bgpq4 -b"
>;) )

Of course I mean IRR data. You setup two caches, one for actual RPKI data, and
another one for IRR data, feed it by SLURM, load both by two "protocol rpki"
instances into two different "roa[64] table"s and call "roa_check()" twice.

This way, you don't have to reload BIRD config every so often, and what is
more, as soon as BIRD 3 comes out, when something changes in IRR, only the
possibly affected routes are actually going to be reloaded.

If you wanna know a bit more, there is a tutorial talk at the last RIPE where I
speak (not only) about that. And it still was just the tip of the iceberg. If
you wish to get more tips, tricks, optimization help and much more, contact me
off-list for paid support options.

Have a nice day!
Maria

--
Maria Matejka (she/her) | BIRD Team Leader | CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o.