Just arrived back from a two day "owl trip".

The N. HAWK OWL was seen on Wednesday Feb.23 at the same spot west of
Welcome,
 at about 12 noon.
While looking for it we saw a MERLIN at the north-west corner of Highway 2
and
Deer Park Road.

Earlier that morning we saw the GREAT GRAY OWLS at Hall's Road with the CBC,
and the BARRED OWL at the south-east corner of Lynde Shores woods.

We proceeded to Amherst Island and saw three or four SHORT-EARED OWLS
hunting
on the KFN property from about 4 to 5 pm
 and the SNOWY OWL perched on the top of a hydro pole, pinkish in the
setting sun, near the east end of South Shore Road.

On Thursday Feb. 24 we saw two BOREAL OWLS and a GREAT GRAY OWL in the jack
pine plantation, just as you go in on the path (Thanks Bruce!).

Six species,in two days of sunny, cold weather!

DIRECTIONS:

N Hawk Owl - exit Hwy 401 at the Hwy 2 exit to the town of Welcome
(just north of Port Hope), head north to a 4-way stop and go west/left
 along Hwy 2, the bird was located about 200 metres west of Kellogg Road
on a Hydro pole. Deer Park Road is the next road west of Kellogg.

Amherst Island - Located 18 km. west of Kingston.  Exit off Hwy. 401 at exit
593 (County Road
4, Camden East) and drive south to the very end (Millhaven).  Turn right on
Hwy. 33 and drive 100 metres until you see the sign for the Amherst Island
ferry. The
ferry (20 minute trip) leaves the mainland on the half hour and leaves the
island on the
hour. Cost is $5.00 Canadian round trip.
    There are no gas stations on the island.  The East End K.F.N. property
is at the easternmost part of the island.  Enter through the gate at the
south end of the Lower Forty-Foot Road.  Snowies are often seen from the
road.
    To reach the Owl Woods, turn left (east) at the four-way stop sign by
the general store and drive 3.4 kilometres along Front Road to the
(seasonal)
Marshall Forty-Foot Road.  Marshall Forty-Foot Road is across the road from
house #2320.  Drive  along Marshall Road to the mid-way point, where there
is an "S" in the road
(1.2 kilometres , look for the K.F.N. kiosk).  Park in the gravel lane or
off the road edge. If  road is closed due to snow drifting  you will have to
make the 1km or so walk in.  Today, both the north and south entrances were
open and you could drive to the :Owl Woods".

Mike and Claire Nelson
London, Ontario.