Good day for my first post!

At 10:45 a.m. today on the Quebec side above the Deschenes Rapids near Ottawa, I spotted a male Harlequin duck feeding with goldeneye, female buffleheads, and a longtail duck.

The Harlequin dove often, not hopping up and into the water like the other diving ducks but going almost breast first in after spreading his tail/wings. He would dive and resurface regularly as he drifted to the rapids then fly up again. My wife and I got quite a good look at him through our scopes on several passes and his silhouette and white markings were unmistakable.

Directions courtesy of Neilyworld
http://ca.geocities.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/orwq10.htm

Independent Directions to this Site: From Autoroute l'Outaouais or Highway 148, take the Chemin Vanier exit. Turn left or south onto Vanier and go 3.9 km to the Ottawa River and the DeschĂȘnes Rapids at the end of Chemin Vanier.

Ottawa River West: Quebec Route Directions: From the Lakeview Terrace area, turn left or south onto Chemin Vanier and drive 1 to 2 km (depending on which street you exit from) to the Ottawa River and the DeschĂȘnes Rapids at the end of Chemin Vanier.