Good evening.

 Today what is probably the last day I will be birding the Toronto Islands this
year Ian Cannell and I still did quite well down there. We again only birded
Hanlans Point and for the first trip since Sept. 28th we did not find a N.
Sharp-tailed Sparrow so they may be gone for this year but we did come up with
a few nice birds as we strolled along.

 Migrating Sharp-shinned, Cooper's and Red-tailed Hawks, a fly past Peregrine
Falcon, E. Phoebes, Horned Lark, Winter and Carolina Wrens, 75+ Golden-crowned
Kinglets, 25+ Ruby-crowned Kinglets, 20+ Hermit Thrushes, A. Pipits, White-eyed
and Blue-headed Vireos, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Chipping Sparrows, 10 Field
Sparrows, Fox Sparrow, many White-throated Sparrows, White-crowned Sparrows,
75+ Dark-eyed Juncos, 6 E. Meadowlarks, and Purple Finches.

 A large part of the birds that I report from The Islands are thanks to Ian
Cannell, Margaret Liubavicius, and Peter McParland, Thanks Guys and put away
your Island schedules until next year and I do hope to see you down there in
the Spring Peter.

Directions:-
(Wards Island to Hanlans Point - without side trips is 5 km)

To get to the Toronto Islands from Queen and Yonge Streets on the TTC. If your
on the subway southbound stay on it and get off at Union Station, walk south
about 1 km to the ferry docks at the foot of Bay Street at Queens Quay and you
are there. If in an auto on the Gardener Expressway or on Lakeshore Blvd, then
exit at Bay Street and drive south to Queens Quay, there are lots of parking
lots nearby (fee).

There is a fee for using the island ferries ($6.50 adult / $4.00 for seniors
and students) and to find out the sailing times you can phone (416) 392-8193.
There are only 3 washrooms open on the islands ( opposite the Wards dock,
Centre Island and beside the Hanlans dock ) as well as the city side at the
ferry docks and you can pick up a schedule at the docks or check on line.

The 1st boat to Wards Island (my preferred starting point) is 6:35 am and the
2nd is 7:00 am Monday to Friday.

The 1st is at 6:35 am and the 2nd boat is at 7:15 am on Saturday, Sunday and
Holidays.

The 1st boat to Hanlans Point is 9:00 am - Monday to Friday only.

There are no boats to Centre Island in the Winter or to Hanlans on the weekend.

Note:- If you start at Wards Island then be aware that the only ferries from
Hanlans Point are at 9:15 am, 11:15 am, 1:15 pm and the last one at 3:45 pm. If
you miss this one you will have to walk all the way back to the Wards Island
ferry dock.

If arriving in early am you must obtain your ticket from a machine just inside
the gate so be sure to have $1.00 and $2.00 and/or 25 cent coins before you
arrive at the docks as there is no place to get change and the machine does not
make change. (There is a change machine there if you want to chance it).

There is coffee shop ( Treat’s Café ) across from the ferry docks in the
building on the northwest corner ( opens before 6:30 am on week days but only
opens at 9 am on the Saturdays that it doesn’t rain ). You may also purchase
do-nuts, etc. here.

Also just a little east on Queen’s Quay ( less than a block ) there is the
"Kitchen Table" and they are open at 6 am - 7 days per week. Besides coffee you
may also buy food and beverages at the Kitchen Table if you forget a lunch.

There are no concession stands open on The Islands but if you are birding from
or on Ward’s the soft drink machine beside the fire station sells Coke-Cola,
juice, iced tea, etc. for $1.25 and up and there are drinking fountains through
out. Washrooms are also located at the fire station.

For a detailed ferry schedule check the following web site or see below.

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/island/springschedule.htm

PS

There is a map of the Islands at each of the Island side ferry docks and the
City side.

Another PS

If you have access to PDF then I can send an Island map if you contact me in
private.

Norm Murr
Richmond Hill, ON

"Sils mordent, mords les"