The Northern Hawk Owl that was found during our Carden Alvar CBC on January 2,
2011 has been hunting in the wetland near the junction of Road 46 from Simcoe
and Road 6 from City Of Kawartha Lakes. Several birders have reported this bird
this winter during the month of January and into February. This morning it was
found dead on the side of the road between Avery Point Road and the junction
where is was first reported. It had a Meadow Vole clutched in its right talon
and had a broken left wing. We can only assume that it was hit by a passing
vehicle as it hunted along the roadway.
I know that the bird had been banded a few weeks early but this dead bird did
not have any bands on either leg.
For the last three years, a Northern Hawk Owl has been observed during winter
each year just after Christmas in most cases near Orillia. All have ended up
the same way being found dead after being hit by a passing vehicle. This bird
had been observed a few weeks ago hunting near the road and flying low over the
road barely being missed by passing cars. I was hoping that this one would make
it through the winter to return north in the spring but it didn't make it. I
wanted to let you know in case you were planning a trip up to look for the owl.
Other birding news from the area is that large flocks of Bohemian Waxwings can
still be found in the area. This has certainly been the year of the waxwing for
our area.

Bob Bowles
Orillia, Ontario