Hi all,
    Birding this section of Ontario's West Coast on a very cold, windy but
blessedly dry day was enjoyed by some 20 participants to-day. Our total species
number was 61 with a Greater Yellowlegs seen by one and heard by another
participant at the lagoons, Red-throated Loon by just three and finally Penny
and I saw the only Rough-legged Hawk on Klondyke Rd homeward bound from K.P.
after goodbyes to last 2 stalwart members at Kettle Point - one from Kitchener
and one from Stayner(long distance award!).  A short summary follows -
    20 waterfowl sp.(all 3 Merganser but only Black and White-winged Scoter) -
GB beach, lagoons and K.P.
     7 raptor sp. including Turkey Vulture and Merlin and best of day juvenile
Northern Goshawk at GB lagoons.
     4 gull sp. Great Black-backed(ad + juv) at K.P.
     5 sparrow and 2 woodpecker sp. despite much effort everywhere.
The most enjoyed birds wer were 3 Evening Grosbeak at the Pinery V.C. feeders
during our lunch/facilities stop.

     Thanks to all the participants from 0830 until whenever they were able to
hang in and keep their spirits and humour intact. As ever I truly enjoyed
leading you and all your help with spotting and identifying almost every bird
we saw. BTW - when tallying this list I realized there was no Rock Pigeon or
Mourning Dove on it(did nobody see either sp?).

                      Cheers!   Maris

Maris Apse  10094 Red Pine Road  Box 22  B.O.P.  RR 2   Grand Bend ON  N0M 1T0
 (519) 238-8415