At Colonel Sam Smith Park this morning, I relocated the interesting Night-Heron
found by Stephen Smith yesterday and reported to eBird as a juvenile
Yellow-Crowned Night-Heron. Stephen posted a photo he took of the bird to eBird.

The interesting Night-Heron I relocated was roosting in a tree along with an
adult and juvenile Black-Crowned Night-Heron, low to the water, on the north
side of the island in the marshy cattail overflow pond located about 50 yards
due east of the southernmost parking lot.

In comparison to the other juvenile bird (which was clearly a Black-Crowned
Night-Heron), the interesting bird had grayish rather than brown upperparts,
had much more finely spotted wings, and seemed to me to be longer-necked and
legged, as well as showing a blunter, thicker bill. This bird's call was also
relatively high-pitched, almost like a scream.

The bird's upper mandible was largely blackish while the lower mandible, other
than the tip, appeared somewhat pale (rather than cometely dark as is largely
the case with Yellow-Crowned Night-Herons). Overall though, the bill on the
interesting bird did not show any yellow like the bill of the nearby juvenile
Black-Crowned.

An interesting bird, regardless of what it turns out to be.

Colonel Sam Smith Park is located immediately due south of the intersection of
Kipling Ave and Lakeshore Blvd in Etobicoke.

David Pryor

Sent from my iPhone