--- Begin Message ---
Nancy and I headed to the east end of the GTA today in the hopes that the
Little Egret would be rediscovered and we could drive to see it and bypass the
morning rush hour. (Of course it was rediscovered after we arrived home at 4
PM).
We decided to check out the Western Meadowlark near Bethany reported earlier
this spring. As we arrived at the location and opened our windows we
immediately heard the song of a Western Meadowlark. It took a little while for
us to locate it in a leafless tree on the top of the hill west of Pit Rd. As
Nancy was observing it though the scope it had been only singing the Western
Meadowlark song, we heard an Eastern Meadowlark and I asked Nancy to be sure
that the bird she was looking at wasn't singing she said it was now singing but
it was the Eastern Meadowlark song.
Being a little skeptical I watched the bird through that scope and saw it sing
and we heard the Eastern Meadowlark song. I watched it for another 5 or so
minutes and it eventually vocalized again and it was the Western Meadowlark
song.
I have tried to find out some information on the internet but so far haven't
been able to determine if this has been noted before and if it would suggest
that this bird was a hybrid or if it was a Western Meadowlark which has learned
the Eastern Meadowlark song.
Any comments would be appreciated. Please email me privately.
Regards,Garth

Directions as per Geoff Carpentier:From jct. of Hwy 35 and 7A go east to first
road on the right (south) – this is Pit Road., then go south about 150 meters
to a large open field on your right (west). This is just north of house #64.
The bird sings from the top of the hill and often sits in what appears to be a
Hawthorn. This is private property and the neighbours are nervous as there have
been some break-ins lately, so pls stay on the road at all times. Garth Riley
Etobicoke, Ontario
rile...@yahoo.com

--- End Message ---