Went out at lunch today to see if the numerous American Robins are still in
Queensville, and theyare, perhaps even more abundantly! This time I walked the
perimeter of the harvested cornfield around which they seem to be concentrated
(due to numerous crab apple trees, full sized apple trees, some mountain ash
trees, high bush cranberries in places, and some other wild fruit-bearing
bushes). I took just over an hour to do a conservative count going around the
field perimeter, and came up with at least 150 Robins, 50 Cedar Waxwings, and
15 European Starlings all feasting on the same fruit trees. Most were along the
south edge of the harvested cornfield, but periodically a group of 40 or so
Robins would leave the others and fly over to the north edge of the field for
several minutes before returning.

If you wish to visit, across the road (Leslie St.)
from the veterinary clinic/farm near the south end of Queensville, there
 is a gated former farm laneway (land is owned by developers but still
rented for agricultural purposes), and many in the community still walk
along the laneway by easily skirting around the gate. About 100 m west
of Leslie St. the laneway comes to the edge of the harvested cornfield. Most
activity now seems concentrated along the treed fenceline along the south edge
of the field. I walked back to the first north-south fenceline that also has
apple trees, and there were about 40 Robins back there (about 3/4 km or so back
from Leslie St., but included in the count of 150+).

Steve Kinsley, RD (College of Dietitians of Ontario: Reg. # 1083)
Nu Connexions: Your partner in nutrient analysis, Canadian food labelling and
food photography services
http://www.nuconnexions.com/
http://www.nutritionlabels.ca/
http://www.purspectivephoto.com/