Happy World Wetlands Day!

Bird Studies Canada is looking for pro-active naturalists to monitor birds
and/or frogs throughout Ontario (and the Great Lakes states). Our 2016 goal is
to fill survey gaps and ensure quality marsh monitoring continues. The Great
Lakes Marsh Monitoring Program is a great opportunity to take your interest in
nature (and birds) one step further and support wetland monitoring and
conservation.  If you would like to know more visit
www.birdscanada.org/volunteer/glmmp  or check out the activity map at
https://goo.gl/hIeu1i.  Read on for more details:

Great Lakes Marsh Monitoring Program participants are assigned routes in
marshes to track the presence and abundance of marsh birds and amphibians.

Task: To survey birds and/or amphibians every season on pre-determined Great
Lakes Marsh Monitoring Program survey routes.

When: Amphibians are surveyed three times with the timing of surveys dependent
on your latitude.  Surveys can take a few minutes or a couple of hours
depending on the number of stations on that route.  Amphibian surveys are a
great option for people beginning to participate in Citizen Science surveys.
Bird surveys are conducted two to three times between mid-May and July 5th.
Surveys may take as little as 20 minutes or up to 3 hours depending on the
number of stations on that route.  The majority of bird routes require evening
surveys. Bird surveys require additional skill as participants need to be able
to identify at least 50 bird species commonly found in marshes (without
referring to a field guide).

Where: Commonly volunteers are assigned to a single route near their home (or
work) and can choose to survey amphibians, birds or both.  All volunteers are
asked to ensure simple habitat descriptions are competed on their route
annually.  Some routes are readily accessible, others are more remote and
require hiking or boating/canoeing to a site.  All participants are asked to
take a companion with them.

More information: www.birdscanada.org/volunteer/glmmp or contact Kathy Jones at
volunt...@birdscanada.org ; 888-448-2473 ext. 124. To learn more about each
route visit https://goo.gl/hIeu1i   and click on the dots for additional
information and route map links. Each registered participant will receive the
necessary resources from Bird Studies Canada including training materials,
protocols, route information and data forms.

*************
This email has been posted with permission from the Ontbirds Coordinator

Kathy Jones
Ontario Programs Volunteer Coordinator
(Canadian Lakes Loon Survey)
Bird Studies Canada
P.O. Box 160
Port Rowan, ON
N0E 1M0
volunt...@birdscanada.org
www.birdscanada.org
Toll Free 1-888-448-2473 ext. 124

How many Birds will YOU find? Great Backyard Bird Count
http://www.birdscanada.org/volunteer/gbbc

Bird Studies Canada's Top 6 ways to help birds:
http://www.birdscanada.org/education/tophelp.jsp
Ontario Field Ornithologists Code of Ethics:
http://www.ofo.ca/site/page/view/aboutus.ethics
eBird on Guidelines for Sensitive Species:
http://help.ebird.org/customer/portal/articles/1006789-guidelines-for-reporting-sensitive-species