Hi Ontbirders,

I suspect some of you will be interested in this. The story is a bit
complicated but I will do my best to distill the essence of it here. If you
want more details, please don't hesitate to email me privately.

You may remember from my last message of January 20th that Scott Kelso and
I sequenced a mitochondrial gene (mtDNA) called COI and found that the
Pakenham bird contained the mtDNA of a Baltimore Oriole. This told us
nothing about the bird's direct parents but proved that somewhere in the
female line there had been a Baltimore Oriole. So it is a hybrid, but to
which degree we could say no more. Nuclear DNA is needed to identify the
parents. But there are two issues here. 1. Nuclear DNA is typically much
harder to obtain than mtDNA (fewer copies exist in the cells). We have
found that sequencing nuclear genes from bird faeces is difficult to
impossible as very few cells are in the droppings and there are also
inhibitors that make it tough to sequence. We can sequence mtDNA from bird
droppings, but even that can be tricky. 2. It turns out that Baltimore and
Bullock's Orioles have almost identical nuclear DNA.

The typical situation in close relatives is that the nuclear DNA is still
somewhat divergent but the mtDNA is often identical (for example, Cinnamon
and Blue-winged Teal cannot be told apart by mtDNA but differ in their
nuclear DNA). It is very unusual that this is reversed in the 2 oriole
species. In fact, it turns out that the resurrection of the two species
from Northern Oriole was done largely because the mtDNA and morphology are
almost always congruent. i.e. if it looks like a Bullock's, it has the
mtDNA of a Bullock's and if it looks like a Baltimore it has the mtDNA of a
Baltimore. This is only messed up within the hybrid zone (which is very
narrow - only 160km across in Kansas for example). Based on the current
taxonomic paradigm, this means that carrying the mtDNA of a Baltimore
Oriole was highly suggestive that the Pakenham bird was a Baltimore.

Because of its uniformity, we thought at fist that nuclear DNA would not be
helpful. However, we finally found a single nuclear marker that had some
repeatable pattern at the species level. The gene is called Beta Fibrinogen
and there is a rapidly evolving non-coding piece (called an intron) that
has 4 base pairs that match the morphological parent (e.g. an 'A' at one
position is consistent with Baltimore while a 'G' is consistent for
Bullocks). Only 4 base pairs consistently different for all of the nuclear
DNA ever sequenced is remarkably little in terms of differentiation! And
there are only a few sequences from this gene available in public databases
so of course sample error remains a possible issue.

The take home message here is that like most of the biological sciences,
taxonomy does not always render black and white answers. Interpretation is
required and the hypothesis is always open for further testing (in this
case, when more sequences of beta fibrinogen are obtained, we may find out
that this test we did does not hold up).

So what did we find out today when the beta fibrinogen sequence came back?
Based on what I state above (with appropriate caveats), both parents of the
Pakenham bird were Bullock's Orioles. By applying purely stochastic
principles, it is likely that the grandmother or great grandmother was a
Baltimore Oriole (somewhere in the lineage there was a Baltimore). So, the
bird is a hybrid, but not an F1 hybrid. The OBRC will have to decide what
this means, but for me, it certainly means that I would tick this bird off
on my list. More interestingly, it means that the Pakenham Oriole was not
just a mega vagrant, it was a real needle in the haystack - a bird almost
certainly from the narrow hybrid zone that runs south from Alberta and
through Kansas. The probability of a hybrid getting here over a pure
Baltimore is minute so it makes the find that much more interesting.

As a final note, there are methods for determining the actual origin of a
bird (by looking at decay of radioactive isotopes in feathers that would
have been grown on the breeding grounds). This requires large sample sizes
and a concerted effort so it is unlikely to be done for this bird (but it
is alive and kicking in the Wild Bird Care centre if someone decides they
want to do this).

Feather and faecal analysis of vagrant birds is becoming a big deal in
western Europe and will be increasingly common here. Each species will
bring its own suite of interesting problems and offer a fantastic
opportunity for us to learn more about the individual involved as well as
about the species. Thanks very much to Ray Holland and Richard Waters for
sharing this find with the community and to Bruce di Labio for getting the
feather and faecal samples required to do this work to me.

Good birding,

Jeff

--
Jeff Skevington, Research Scientist
Canadian National Collection of Insects, Arachnids and Nematodes