Today we were at one of our favourite local birding spots, Reesor Pond, on
Reesor Road south of Highway 7. To our amazement, there were about 20 people
fishing there, some even in waders, and actually in the pond. This is a first
for us, we have never seen this before. It is infuriating, as this is a
stop-off for all sorts of migratory ducks, swans, shorebirds, grebes, terns,
geese and more. There was not a single one of them in sight today. We are sure
that the many fellow birders we see during the year at Reesor Pond will be most
disturbed by this as well. It will not take long for the pond to be depleted of
fish, and for fishing line and tackle etc. to be afloat, thus endangering all
the visitors. Does anyone have any idea if fishing is permitted in a stormwater
pond like this, or have any suggestions on who to contact to report this? Town
of Markham? Ministry of Natural Resources?

Thank you,
Miranda O’Hara