Hi there,

I'm writing to make a correction to my post a few days ago regarding a
Gyrfalcon at Hillman Marsh in Leamington. A number of highly regarded and
skilled northern birders agreed with our initial identification based on our
photos and account of the sighting - but after some skepticism, we sent the
photos to more birders for further scrutiny. After a thorough analysis it
seemed a better fit for a massive immature tundrius (the expected migrant
subspecies) Peregrine Falcon with rather heavier than average proportions and
markings.

The three of us are all very experienced with migrant Peregrines, and just this
fall I've watched many dozens of various size fly, hunt, and migrate for
prolonged periods of time, never looking close to as large or strong as this
individual. This seems to be without a doubt the largest, strongest, and most
impressive Peregrine I've ever seen. The apparent size, strength, and flight
style of this individual may have been exaggerated by the very strong wind
hitting it.

We apologize for any excitement and refinding efforts put forth by anyone who
was interested in our sighting. This has been a great lesson about the
potential extremes of Peregrine Falcons!

Good birding,

Jeremy, Amanda, and Lev