!‎

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network.
  Original Message
From: Josh Vandermeulen
Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2016 9:05 AM
To: ontbirds
Subject: [Ontbirds] 2016-2017 Ontario winter list

Birders,

Today marks the first day of winter listing, the period of time running from
December 1 until February 28/29. I will be compiling the winter bird list in
Ontario again this year, the results of which can be viewed at
http://tinyurl.com/myyulvs . Approximately 346 species of birds have been
recorded in Ontario during the winter period, with usually between 195 and 220
species recorded in a given winter. Last winter 221 species were recorded - our
second highest total after the 224 species reported in 2011-2012. Some of the
highlights from last winter included Pink-footed Goose, Smew, Northern Fulmar,
Great Cormorant, Rufous Hummingbird, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Cave Swallow,
Bullock's Oriole and Eurasian Tree Sparrow.

Just post your sightings to Ontbirds (if sufficiently rare), ebird.org or send
me an email, and I will update the list accordingly and provide an update to
Ontbirds every two weeks or so. That way you can check the list and inform me
of any species that have been seen but are not present on the list.

We are off to a great start with the Crested Caracara in Michipicoten providing
the first winter record for Ontario. Given the mild weather to start the period
I think we have a really great chance of setting a new standard this winter.

Good (winter) birding,

Josh Vandermeulen

joshvandermeulen.blogspot.com