Greetings birders

Today at the west end of the Greenock Swamp I came across a group of 3
first-year Bald Eagles together at about 10:00am. Two were perched together
at first, then one flew off as I stopped the vehicle, and I followed where
this individual went, which was another field across the road with a 3rd
eagle. For the time I was there (about 15 minutes), other than the one
individual flying across the road, these birds did not move from their
perches.

In addition to this, a couple weeks ago on the east end of the Greenock
Swamp I came across three Bald Eagles, two adult and one first-year
individual. These three were taking turns circling over Schmidt Lake, and
landing in nearby white pines, for about an hour at that time.

This places either 5 or 6 Bald Eagles in the same geographic area, 3 or 4
of which are first year birds. If they are indeed local (and not migratory
stop-overs), this has been a very good year for this place. Certainly there
are enough remote tall white pines here for nesting.

The locations are within a half hour of Walkerton. Exact locations via
Google Maps...

Schmidt Lake:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Schmidt+Lake,+Brockton,+ON/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8829a5bbde2fcfeb:0x4d141a4f974258a?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjYyO-8q9nQAhUM6oMKHeOpDocQ8gEIGjAA

west side of Greenock Swamp (today's sighting):
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.1480723,-81.4064182,667m/data=!3m1!1e3

Good birding
Rob

--
Robert Gerald Porter

Hamilton Naturalists' Club / Field Events Director
Weever Apps / Chief Innovation Officer, Co-founder

http://twitter.com/rgeraldporter