I birded the Port Weller pier in St Catharines, Niagara Region for a few hours
this afternoon before and during the heavy rains. The highlight was a Purple
Sandpiper on the rocks by the lighthouse at the east end of the pier, which
landed in front of me while I was trying (unsuccessfully) to take shelter
behind the lighthouse.

Hundreds of passerines, mostly warblers and sparrows, are all up and down the
pier.

1 Louisiana Waterthrush - along the George Nicholson Memorial Trail, 100 m west
of the parking lot at Jones Beach (end of Broadway St)
-Magnolia, Cape May, American Redstart among 15 warbler species.

A link to my checklist, which includes a few photos of the Purple Sandpiper,
can be found here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36461107

To get to Port Weller, take the Niagara Street/Regional Road 48 exit from the
QEW in St Catharines, and drive north towards Lake Ontario. Stay on Niagara
Street for 5 km, then turn right onto Lakeshore Road. Drive over the Welland
Canal and take your second left onto Seaway Haulage Road, approx 500 m after
crossing over the canal. Follow Seaway Haulage road north towards the lake. it
will turn into Broadway, follow Broadway to the end and park in the little
parking lot at the terminus of Broadway at Lake Ontario.

Good birding,
Josh Vandermeulen
joshvandermeulen.blogspot.com<http://joshvandermeulen.blogspot.com>

Sent from my iPhone