Hi Everyone
Great day birding the Ottawa River with numerous highlights. This morning
at around 8:00 a.m. while birding Dick Bell Park I observed 3 Purple
Sandpipers. There were a number of small flocks of Dunlin over the river as
well as 2 Sanderling,  2 Pectoral Sandpipers and 4 Brant. The Purples were
very nervous and didn't land on the rocky point but continued flying west.
There were  a number of scoters on the river including 40+ Black, 4 Surf
and 2 White-winged along with 18 male Long-tailed Ducks.  At least one late
lingering Great Egret was present at Andrew Haydon Park.
Late morning I birded Constance Bay.  With the changing weather conditions
I headed to the point area to view the Ottawa River/Constance Bay. Within a
few minutes I spotted my first Golden Eagle migrating south overhead and
after an hour I observed 6 Golden and 1 Bald Eagle. My highest one day
count ever for Golden's in the Ottawa area. This once rare species  has
been been increasing in numbers over the past 3 decades.  At around 12:30
pm I spotted a Razorbill offshore.  The bird disappeared twice for a period
of time but fortunately  was present when the first group of birders from
Ottawa arrived but later disappeared offshore again for any late arrivals.
This represents the second record for the Ottawa district.  A total of 9
Purple Sandpipers were found during the day.

Good birding,
Bruce Di Labio

Directions: Constance Bay is located NW of Ottawa off Dunrobin Road and
Point Restaurant is off Bayview Drive.   Dick Bell Park is located off
Carling Ave.

Bruce Di Labio
P.O.Box 538
Carp,Ontario