Birders,

Today marks the first day of winter listing, the period of time running from
December 1 until February 28/29. I will be compiling the winter bird list in
Ontario again this year. Approximately 346 species of birds have been recorded
in Ontario during the winter period, with usually between 200 and 220 species
recorded in a given winter. Last winter 216 species were recorded, representing
the third highest total ever, after the 224 species in 2011-2012 and the 220
species in 2015-2016. Some of the highlights from last winter included two new
species for the all-time Ontario winter list in Red-necked Phalarope and
Crested Caracara. Other rarities and unusual winter species included American
Bittern, Sora, Western Sandpiper, Slaty-backed Gull, White-winged Dove, Cave
Swallow, Smith's Longspur, Bay-breasted, Chestnut-sided and Black-throated Gray
Warblers, Nelson's Sparrow and Brambling.

Just post your sightings to Ontbirds (if sufficiently rare), ebird.org or send
me an email, and I will update the list accordingly and provide an update to
Ontbirds every couple of weeks. That way you can check the list and inform me
of any species that have been seen but are not present on the list.

The list can be viewed at http://tinyurl.com/myyulvs . I have also provided a
link on my blog, located at
http://joshvandermeulen.blogspot.ca/p/ontario-winter-bird-list.html . I try to
update the spreadsheet every couple of days or whenever I hear of a new
addition. Please let me know if you hear of a new addition or any other
correction to the spreadsheet.

Good (winter) birding,
Josh Vandermeulen
joshvandermeulen.blogspot.com