There was a major change in activity on Thursday compared with Wednesday.
The number of geese more than doubled and on Wednesday they were already
higher than we normally see in a single flock in spring. Thursday's total
was estimated at over 175,000. It is possible that over 200,000 were in the
area but time did not permit checking further east where additional birds
were being sighted. This is over 20% of the entire population. This is the
second highest total following the massive flock of about 400,000 that
appeared between South Lancaster and the Quebec border in 2011, with the
same area at Westley's Point being the focus.

Many of these birds undoubtedly came from Quebec, likely moving west ahead
of a low pressure system that by Thursday afternoon brought a steady rain.
This will persist into Friday morning. Quebec is not where we normally get
our birds from. Ontario's Greater Snow Geese are from the splinter flock
that leaves western New York State south of Lake Ontario then flies,
usually in a single day for the most part, down the St. Lawrence, stopping
in the east while others head straight into Quebec. There are usually over
100,000 birds that make the flight and about 50,000+ linger for us to see
in various flocks. There is usually no massive inland flock like we see in
the fall (October-November)

There are significant parallels between 2011 and this spring's movement. We
again have significant ice for the birds to rest on unlike a number of
previous years (they prefer to be out of the water for extended periods).
The migration was held up by inclement weather earlier in the month and
this week yet another significant weather system has encouraged the birds
to head further west on the St. Lawrence than usual.

The birds are heading north into the cornfields early in the day. This
morning Bruce Di Labio, David Tyrer and I saw a handful of Snow Geese
around 8-8:30 at Westley's Point where I had 75,000 on Wednesday. We
checked cornfields north of Lancaster between Concessions 2 and 7 and found
various sized flocks after much searching (white birds on a mottled white
and brown landscape are practically invisible) but we did not see all of
the birds which must have spread far and wide. We had our most northerly
flock on Cty Rd 34 at Green Valley but only a couple of thousand birds were
there.

The geese began to return to the river later in the morning and Jamie
Johnson noted that by 10:30 steady flocks were arriving. Most were in by
12:30. They will leave again later in the afternoon from 4:00 on heading
back north into the fields before returning to the river for the night.

There is no way of knowing what the next few days will bring. Friday's
number in the afternoon may be 50,000 higher or 100,000 lower than
Thursday's total although odds are they will not find the weather good for
migration. That may change in a couple of days. Based on what happened in
2011 there will be a few days with peak numbers then the geese will
decrease until a core of maybe 40-50,000 will remain in the area for some
time. Once the ice is gone there will be no more concentration in the
immediate area. Eventually, once lagoons open to the north, they will head
that way.

NECK BANDS: Keep your eyes open (scope needed) for yellow neck bands with
letters and numbers i.e. RR 82. These are mostly females that have been
marked for identification in an ongoing study. If you submit your ID band
code you can find out about the bird(s) and receive a digital certificate
with the information. We had over a dozen today and those were just the
close ones we could see.

Enjoy Ontario's most spectacular wildlife spectacle.

Brian Morin
Cornwall

Directions:
Exit Hwy 401 at Lancaster. Take the South Service Rd about 5 km to
Westley's Point. (If you have come from the west go straight ahead at the
light). Park on the main road near the mail boxes, not on the short road
near the water which is for fire access. That short road is your best
viewing point. The adjacent farmland is private property. Be aware that the
houses and cottages along the river are all private property and if you
cross onto someone's property you may hear about it. Immediately before
Westley's Point on South Service Rd is Glengarry Campground. You can walk
into the beach area (about 5 minutes) and see them from this angle as well
but the birds aren't as close. If they lift off it doesn't matter where you
are.