Yesterday April 7th Bob Tyler and I birded Ward’s and Algonquin Islands and it
is safe to say that migration has ramped up.

Some totals of the following such as Song Sparrow and Eastern Phoebe were under
counted as the Phoebes on the western end of Algonquin Island were in and
beside thick bushes and trees ( as they were elsewhere ) and were very active
fly catching and hard to count and the Song Sparrows where they were in groups
on the grass were very skiddish and at times were flushed by frisbie golfers
before we could get a good count but all the birds kept us busy so that we
didn’t go further on The Islands to Centre, Gibralter and Hanlan’s.

Waterfowl species and numbers were way down.

Below is a list of some of the birds we found.

Pied-billed Grebe – 1
Horned Grebe – 3
Rd-necked Grebe - 1
Eared Grebe – 2
D-c Cormorant – 50+
Great Blue Heron – 5 – flying east
Wood Duck – 3
Redhead Duck – 8
Hooded Merganser – 3
White-winged Scoter – 1
Turkey Vulture – 2 – floating east
Osprey – 1 – flying east
Cooper’s Hawk – 2 – resident pair sitting together
Peregrine Falcon – adult overhead
Bonaparte’s Gull – 7 – flying east
Common Tern – 1 – flying east
Belted Kingfisher – 2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker – 6
Eastern Phoebe – 92
Tree Swallow – 75+ - flying east over the harbour
White-breasted Nuthatch – 3
Brown Creeper – 10
Winter Wren – 12
Golden-crowned Kinglet – 63
Hermit Thrush – 5
Northern Mockingbird – 1
Northern Cardinal – 24
Tree Sparrow – 2
Chipping Sparrow – 4
Fox Sparrow – 1 – seen by an other birder
Song Sparrow – 134
Swamp Sparrow – 1
Dark-eyed Junco – 24

Missed the resident Red-bellied Woodpecker and resident Carolina Wrens.

PS – The Ferry schedule switches to the Spring schedule this Friday the 11th so
there will be boats to Hanan’s ( starting at 6:30 am ) and Centre Island as
well as Ward’s Island.

Ferry Schedule  -
https://www.toronto.ca/explore-enjoy/parks-gardens-beaches/toronto-island-park/all-ferry-schedules/

Norm Murr