This past Saturday, April 6 2019, twelve birders from across southwestern
Ontario joined me for a very successful full-day outing in the Point Pelee
area! We totalled 70 bird species between 7:30 am and about 5 pm in very
comfortable sunny weather. Such nice weather that I now have a sun burn! I
appreciate the great turnout, especially to those who came from a few hours
away for the outing. Below is a summary of the day.

We started at 7:30 am at Mersea Park at the intersection of Point Pelee Drive
and Mersea Rd C where we spotted a small assortment of diving ducks and Horned
Grebes on Lake Erie. eBird checklist link for Mersea Park and Point Pelee Drive:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54701251

We then ventured into Point Pelee National Park, stopping at a couple patches
of savannah habitat in the park to enjoy a few Eastern Bluebirds, singing Field
Sparrows and Carolina Wrens, and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. At The Tip we
studied thousands of diving ducks including great views of Surf and
White-winged Scoters. From there we stopped briefly at the DeLaurier Homestead
parking area and then walked the Boardwalk that had been partially rebuilt this
spring. eBird checklist link for Point Pelee National Park:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54696567

After lunch we made our way to Hillman Marsh Conservation Area where we built
up quite the list of dabbling ducks as well as Pectoral Sandpipers, Dunlin, and
a Forster’s Tern. eBird checklist link for Hillman Marsh:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54701175

If anyone who came along would like a copy of the group photo from the
beginning of the day please contact me privately. Again, thanks so much to
everyone who came out. You all added to a great day, and I look forward to
crossing paths with you again this spring!

Jeremy Bensette
Leamington