Yesterday May 19th Bob Tyler, Alfred Adamo and I birded Ward’s and Algonquin
Islands and it turned out to be one of the better trips down there and
following are some of the birds.

Turkey Vultures, 3 Black-billed and 1 Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Ruby-th
Hummingbirds, 4 Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers, Northern
Flicker, E. Wood-Pewee, Willow, Least and Great Crested Flycatchers, E.
Kingbirds, Raven, Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatches, Carolina and
House Wrens, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Veerys, Gray-cheeked and Swainson’s
Thrushes, Catbirds, Cedar Waxwings, Blue-headed, Warbling, Philadelphia and
Red-eyed Vireos, 20 warbler species including Tennesse, 2 Orange-crowned,
Nashvllie, 9 N. Parulas, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Cape-May, Black-throated
Blue, Black-throated Green, Blackburnian, 16 Bay-breasted, Cerulean, Black and
White, A. Redstart, Connecticut, Com. Yellowthroat, Hooded and 3 Canada
Warblers, Summer Tanager, 17 Scarlet Tanagers, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Indigo
Bunting, Chipping and White-crowned Sparrows and Many Baltimore Orioles.

Other birds seen in our area by other birders but not seen by us were – Osprey,
Belted Kingfisher, Yellow-throated Vireo, Palm, Mourning, Blackpoll and
Wilson’s Warblers.

2 more Red-bellied Woodpeckers were seen west of Ward’s Island by 2 other
birders making it a record day on The Islands (in my opinion) for that species.
hope 1 or more of them are females.

A good trip with a few more to come before the end of May unless The Islands
sink as the water is still rising down there restricting the areas that we can
access as we do not have rubber boots. Sand bagging and pumping is in full
swing and there is a good possibility that The Islands will again be closed to
the general public.

 A second 100 year flooding in 2 years :>)).

Norm Murr
Richmond Hill, ON

Sent from Mail for Windows 10