Hey folks,

I’ve had a few people asking me about the current conditions at the West Perth
Wetlands so I thought I’d give everyone a quick status.

I was out there this morning and there are good numbers of shorebirds
around…and water levels are perfect in all cells except the fenced in cell
which is currently full (because of current processing needs at the sewage
treatment plant) although it’s worth checking the small edge of the fenced in
cell as the Spotted Sandpipers especially can be found walking along and
foraging.

Species I had today included:

Wilson’s Snipe (2)
Killdeer (108)
Semipalmated Plover (2)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (4)
Least Sandpiper (18)
Lesser Yellowlegs (42)
Greater Yellowlegs (7)
Solitary Sandpiper (11)
Spotted Sandpiper (10)

Still seeing lots of good passerines around, herons and waterfowl (though
mostly Mallards, Wood Ducks and Canada Geese….with a small group of Blue-winged
Teal that showed up a couple of days ago)

Maybe see you out there…. and good birding!

Dave

Directions to West Perth Wetlands (Mitchell):

>From the East (Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, GTA) - take Hwy 8 thru
Stratford heading west to first lights in Mitchell (Wellington St) and
turn left (south) and continue till you hit the "T" intersection at the
ball diamond.  Wetland cells are straight back behind the ball diamond
and soccer fields and the sewage treatment plant.

>From the London area....take Hwy 23 into Mitchell from the south and
just after you pass the "Welcome to Mitchell" sign...watch for Frank
St...go right on Frank St and head down over the bridge till you get to
the ball diamond (will be on your right).  Again...the cells are behind
the ball diamond and soccer fields.

>From Southampton area....take Hwy 21, to Goderich and then Hwy 8 to
Clinton and down to Mitchell, turn south on Hwy 23 to Frank St. and turn
left on Frank St. and head over the bridge to the ball diamonds (which
will be on your right). Walk down the side of the soccer fields to the
cells behind.