Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 04, 2019

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0              0              0
Osprey                       0              1              1
Bald Eagle                   2              3              3
Northern Harrier             4              9              9
Sharp-shinned Hawk           1              2              2
Cooper's Hawk                0              0              0
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk           10             24             24
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk             16             22             22
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel             3              4              4
Merlin                       1              1              1
Peregrine Falcon             0              1              1
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                      37             67             67

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter:        Kevin Georg

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Don Sherwood, Mark Hainen

Visitors:
Not too many today but those we had enjoyed the day. It was not the type of
day to write home about as most of the birds were at the professional level
and not too close to our location except for the occasional eagle fly-by.

Weather:
A beautiful late Michigan summer day with alternating blue skies and at
times significant clouds. Wind was fresh out of the WNW, barometer was
rising through the early hours. It would seem to be a good day for
migrating raptors but perhaps a more northerly wind might have helped.

Raptor Observations:
Our best day so far with scattered birds throughout the day. Not any large
movements but it is only September 4th. Red-tailed hawks were the largest
mover with 17 counted, broad-winged a fairly close second at 11. We did see
our first feisty as ever merlin trying to put a dent in the swallow
population so we have the hat-trick for falcons early this year. Harriers
were also passing with 4 noted.

Non-raptor Observations:
Most of the insects must have been high today as the swallows and martins,
along with the gulls, were up in the clouds.

Predictions:
High barometric pressure with easy light winds from a more easterly
direction. This may keep the birds that are traveling over us instead of
our friends at Holiday Beach who may have had a good day today.
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (jerry.jour...@gmail.com)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285