Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 11, 2019

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0              2              2
Osprey                       1             10             10
Bald Eagle                   2             17             17
Northern Harrier             3             58             58
Sharp-shinned Hawk          49            352            352
Cooper's Hawk                0              3              3
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk            0            224            224
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk              0             56             56
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel             5             43             43
Merlin                       0              2              2
Peregrine Falcon             0              3              3
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                      60            770            770

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 13:00:00
Total observation time: 5 hours

Official Counter:        Kevin Georg

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Mark Hainen

Visitors:
Bill and Michelle dropped by. Our new volunteer Alex put in a few hours and
got to see the first sharpies of the day.

Weather:
I think I am beginning to figure it out, you merely add six or eight hours
to any forecasted weather phenomena. Far from predicted morning
thunderstorms, we had calm winds and high temps for the morning hours. It
wasn’t until the Lake Erie Doctor began to blow in off the lake that we
had any comfort in the high humidity heat. Canada disappeared in the haze
as the moisture near lake-level became visible in the form of low cloudlike
formations. On the radar a benign looking green smear became multi-colored
and virulent. As thunder was heard multiple times it was deemed prudent to
Run Away! Our day ended at 2 ESDT as a severe thunderstorm rolled through.

Raptor Observations:
Raptors were scarce again for the first couple of hours. Old reliable
Sharp-shinned Hawks came through in the middle of the day but tapered off
before the storm approached. We had 49 for the day. Five American Kestrels
made the trip along with two harriers that showed up together.
Not much wind and threatening weather seemed to dampen the flight but there
was so much haze in the sky that we may have missed a few.

Non-raptor Observations:
The real observation today was how the weather can affect the viewing at
the site. The lake is always interacting with the changes in the
atmospheric condition, be it temperature change, humidity, or wind speed
and at times it does complicate the process by impeding the view.

One other thing of note: there was an assault on the remaining Brain Tree
today. It seemed to stop well short of a total take down and it may have
been merely trimming but it had us concerned. Actually, tree growth over
time is another issue we face at the site. As the trees in front of us get
taller, the less of the sky we see. If some of those trees are removed we
probably won’t cry too long.

Predictions:
The weather is a little turbulent around us now and hard to predict.
Thunderstorms are still the order of the day as I write. The forecast shows
a possible window for birds to move with a rising barometer and winds from
the NW but it's really anybody's guess as to whether that will happen as
scheduled.
Report submitted by Kevin Georg (kevin.l.ge...@gmail.com)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285