Greetings birders:

The run of excellent warbler flocks continues on this annual outing. Of the
day's 73 species, 16 were warblers, with most coming in a flurry of early-
to mid-morning activity. A NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD — seen briefly by some
group members — was the most notable bird species of the day.

The heavy rain of the wee hours of the morning stopped at sunrise and skies
gradually cleared throughout the day. A strong west wind made for
challenging viewing, especially at the beach and on the lake.

*The Lighthouse/Paxton Drive*
Sheltered Paxton Drive was slow on our first pass — possibly due to the
presence of single COOPER'S and SHARP-SHINNED HAWKS — before springing to
life on our walk back towards the lighthouse. Warbler-wise, we all got
excellent looks at BLACK-AND-WHITE, NASHVILLE, AMERICAN REDSTART, NORTHERN
PARULA, MAGNOLIA, BAY-BREASTED, BLACKBURNIAN, CHESTNUT-SIDED,
BLACK-THROATED BLUE, YELLOW-RUMPED, and BLACK-THROATED GREEN. Most saw a
single TENNESSEE well, while a handful of observers briefly observed a
particularly dull CAPE MAY. The mixed flock also included several RED-EYED
and one BLUE-HEADED VIREO, one RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD, at least one
LEAST FLYCATCHER, and one ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK.

*The Beach*
CEDAR WAXWINGS showed well on the Beach 2 entrance road before we faced
into the wind while observing a flock of 35–40 SANDERLINGS — including one
adult — interspersed with two LEAST SANDPIPERS, two SEMIPALMATED
SANDPIPERS, and about 15 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS. Both adult and juvenile
CASPIAN TERNS remain, though not for much longer this year.

*Calf Pasture*
After a brief picnic lunch beside the Park store, we headed to Calf Pasture
where some observers glimpsed a YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER as the rest of the
group enjoyed a rarely-seen-in-Presqu'ile Northern Map Turtle at the boat
launch. A small flock of a bathing warblers included a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH
and WILSON'S WARBLER. Nearby, we heard the distinctive "smack" call of a
MOURNING WARBLER just after some group members spotted a NORTHERN
MOCKINGBIRD.

*Brighton Constructed Wetland/Brighton Sewage Lagoon*
Highlights at the wetland included two flushed LESSER YELLOWLEGS, two
juvenile COMMON GALLINULES, as well as one BLUE-WINGED TEAL among skittish
flocks of GREEN-WINGED TEAL. The sewage lagoon's surface is visible from
the wetland due to the former's high water, so we got the scope on several
NORTHERN SHOVELERS and BONAPARTE'S GULLS.

Thank you to Bill Gilmour for his assistance once again and to the 29
participants who joined us. If you would like the two ebird lists for the
day, please respond to this email and I will gladly share them.

We hope to see you again in soon!

Cheers,

Ian and Sofía Shanahan

p.s. Pardon the delayed posting of this report due to our camping at
Presqu'ile over the weekend.