Holiday Beach Hawk Watch
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 23, 2019

Turkey Vulture              18            174            174
Osprey                       0             21             21
Bald Eagle                   5             82             82
Northern Harrier             2            134            134
Sharp-shinned Hawk         101           1327           1327
Cooper's Hawk                0             39             39
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk            4          24783          24783
Red-tailed Hawk              2            126            126
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel           260            624            624
Merlin                       3             43             43
Peregrine Falcon             2              9              9
Unknown Accipiter            0              2              2
Unknown Buteo                1              1              1
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              4              4
Swainson's Hawk              0              1              1

Total:                     398          27370          27370

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter:        Maryse Gagne

Observers:        Bob Hall-Brooks, Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you to Kitty Bradshaw and Gail Walker from Woodstock ON for their
visit and their good eyes on the tower. We were also visited by a couple
from Germany touring great birding spots in Ontario and Elise and Louis
from Parry Sound also visiting birding sites in Ontario. Thanks to Michelle
and Bob Hall-Brooks that took time to come count during one of our busiest
hour. Thank you for stopping by!

Weather:
A gorgeous day for us on the tower, temperatures were hot but we welcomed a
good cloud cover and strong 20 km/h winds from the West all day.

Raptor Observations:
A successful day for us as we counted 398 raptors. We had some variety but
the raptor that took the cake was the American Kestrel, with a daily count
of 260! In second place we had Sharp-shinned hawks with a daily total of
101. Most birds had some difficulty flying straight into the strong winds,
but most of flew just above the tower, giving us the chance to get a good
look. We also counted a few Merlins and Peregrine falcons in the mix. We
had a good day, hoping for more where that came from!

Non-raptor Observations:
Today's non-raptor highlight came from a Palm Warbler! Not many other
warblers to be seen in the trees except for two Redstarts in the afternoon.
We were also excited to count 25 Chimney Swifts, always a pleasure to see
them flying!
Duck diversity is increasing in the marsh with Widgeons, Gadwalls and
Shoverlers. We also counted many American Goldfinches flying above us and a
few more Tree Swallows.

Chimney Swift: 25
American Goldfinch: 110
Blue Jays: 28
American Crow: 32
Northern Flicker: 7
Cedar Waxwing: 38
Black Saddlebags: 11
Monarchs: 21

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60064323

Predictions:
Tomorrow, we are expecting very similar weather as today; warm day with
strong winds from the West. Hopefully, it will be just as, if not more
successful! Hoping for more Kestrels, Merlins and Sharp-shinned Hawks.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (maryse.gagn...@gmail.com)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100