Holiday Beach Hawk Watch
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 27, 2019

Turkey Vulture              70            437            437
Osprey                       0             24             24
Bald Eagle                   0             91             91
Northern Harrier             4            172            172
Sharp-shinned Hawk          44           2115           2115
Cooper's Hawk                4             57             57
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk            0          24812          24812
Red-tailed Hawk              2            138            138
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            51           1066           1066
Merlin                       9             77             77
Peregrine Falcon             5             18             18
Unknown Accipiter            0              2              2
Unknown Buteo                0              1              1
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              4              4
Swainson's Hawk              0              1              1

Total:                     189          29015          29015

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter:        Maryse Gagne

Observers:        Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you to our many visitors who came by today.
Thank you to Linda and Ron, Kevin Telford, John and Stan, Margaret and
Julius from Kingsville, Jeff and Debbie from Sudbury, Carly and Jacob,
Brianna Fenn and Dean Nixon, Noel and Juliette and Shawn Brown for all
their help.
Thanks to Chip and Tim from the hawk banding station for bringing up a
Merlin, a Kestrel, a Peregrine, a Harrier and a Red-tail for adoption. We
wish the raptors well on their migration!

Weather:
We a nice day on the tower with temperatures around the 20 degrees Celsius,
a mix of sun and cloud and light winds from the South. Around 3 o'clock, we
heard thunder and got down from the tower.

Raptor Observations:
It was Falcon Friday on the tower today! We counted all 3 species; American
Kestrels (51), Merlin(9) and Peregrine Falcons (5). The morning was much
busier than the afternoon as we also counted Sharp-shinned hawks (44) and
Northern Harriers, including two beautiful gray ghost males.

Non-raptor Observations:
Another slower day for non-raptor species, but our highlights included an
Eastern Meadowlark, Black-bellied Plovers Indigo Buntings, and two Snow
Geese!
We also counted a lot of waterfowl on the marsh including Mallards,
Widgeons, Blue-winged Teal, and Wood Ducks.

Blue Jays have finally started to migrated in big numbers! Today's Blue Jay
total was 1,161 birds.

Mallards: 438
Widgeon:76
Blue-winged Teal: 12
Green-winged teal: 2
American Coots: 293
Blue Jays: 1,161

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60159169

Predictions:
Tomorrow, we are expecting rain and risk of thunderstorm for the majority
of the day. The winds are expected to blow from the West in the morning,
but have a northern component in the afternoon. Hopefully the rain will let
up early and we'll count more falcons and Northern Harriers.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (maryse.gagn...@gmail.com)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100