Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 30, 2019

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture             156            491            491
Osprey                       1             30             30
Bald Eagle                   5             51             51
Northern Harrier             9            174            174
Sharp-shinned Hawk          90           2078           2078
Cooper's Hawk                1             11             11
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk          153          63798          63798
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk              3            115            115
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            19            573            573
Merlin                       1             16             16
Peregrine Falcon             0             15             15
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              1              1
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                     438          67353          67353

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter:        Kevin Georg

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Mark Hainan, Mark Hainen, Patrick Mulawa,
                  Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
Roll Tide. Visitors were on the slim side today as might be expected with
the weather but one Alabama sweat-shirt wearing aspiring bird photographer
made an appearance.

Weather:
In a scene at times more suitable for a backdrop for Basil Rathbone and
Nigel Bruce sleuthing out The Hound of the Baskervilles mystery on foggy
moors we sat down to count those intrepid birds that chose to make the
flight on instruments rather than relying on impeded sight. The winds went
round from NE to SSE throughout the day and skies were finally clearing
towards the end. Barometer started on the high side despite the looks of
the sky but fell a full tenth during the day. Our flight seemed to diminish
with that fall and the easing winds.

Raptor Observations:
The broadwings are still flying, in smaller numbers of course, and seem to
be teaming up with the early turkey vultures that are getting a jump on
their brethren. 150+ TV's and 130+ BW were counted. Sharp shins continue to
move with 90, kestrels were present too but in lesser numbers. Red tailed
hawks numbered 3. Harriers nearly made double digits with 9. 1 angry merlin
was noted. We suspect that we may have had more birds on the move but
visibility issues were problematic.

Non-raptor Observations:
It was a dreary day with some of our landmarks disappearing at times in a
foggy haze that enveloped us. A cormorant provided some entertainment as it
struggled to get a longnose gar down the hatch. All the fish eaters eat the
fish headfirst so a very thin nosed, foot-long fish presented a challenge.
Of course, the bird managed it eventually but not without some considerable
effort expended.

Predictions:
Tomorrow is forecast to have increasing SW winds with possibly record
setting temperatures in the high eighties. The barometer will be falling as
rain approaches.  Not our favorite scenario. Bring bathing suits.
Report submitted by Jason Sodergren (ja...@taiga.com)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo -  Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/detroit-river-international-wildlife-refuge/detroit-river-hawk-watch-fall-2019