Birders,

Just a follow-up on this mega-rarity.

A few of us watched the Black-throated Sparrow right up till sunset. It seemed
to stay along the fence line behind (east of) the covered picnic area for the
time I was there (6:15 to sunset around 7), at around 6:50 or so it flew to the
line of Ash trees on the west side of the covered pavilion and then flew to the
sandy area of the children’s playground where it fed alone. The bird has been
seen along the fenceline up to 150m either side of the main picnic area.

For those looking and who haven’t seen one before, Black-throated Sparrow is
noticeably smaller than the numerous White-crowned, White-throated and Song
Sparrows with which it was associating. It is a very drab, grey-brown backed
sparrow with whitish breast and belly but look for the very distinctive facial
pattern. It can hide amazingly well as it feeds in the grass so be patient and
stay a bit distant from the fence so the birds can come out and feed
comfortably.

Good luck for those who head out to Courtice tomorrow.

Directions:

Take Courtice Rd exit off 401, proceed south on Courtice Rd for 100m, turn left
on Megawatt Dr for 1km, turn right/south on Crago Rd for 200m, you will see the
soccer fields and picnic pavilion on the left.

Sent from my iPhone