Birders,

I did a scope scan of Kempenfelt Bay from Minet's Point Park in Barrie at
lunch time today.

In amongst hundreds of Common Loons (I estimated ~650) out on the bay was
one (and possibly two, but never saw two at once) *adult Pacific Loon*, I'm
assuming this is the same bird reported by Burke Korol last week.

The loons were way out near the middle of the bay and with the east wind it
made for a little difficult viewing. Scope is a must - I had mine at 40-50
power while viewing. The bird really stands out because the crown and
hindneck are such a light grey it's almost white, but offset with black in
the face and foreneck and black on the wings with white splotches on the
upper back. The bird(s) was almost straight north from the beach at
Minet's, i.e., straight across the bay. Viewing MIGHT be better from the
north shore where you can stand out of the wind today.

Also here are over 200 Common Terns (30 on the beach and many more out on
the water and flying around) - this is the latest I recall seeing this
species on Lake Simcoe in such high numbers.

Good birding,
Frank Pinilla
Richmond HIll, ON (work in Barrie)

DIRECTIONS:
Minet's Point Park - exit Hwy 400 at Essa Road in Barrie, go north on Essa
about 1.5km, turn right (east) on Tiffin St and at the next lights continue
through where this becomes Lakeshore Drive, follow for 1.6km and turn left
on Minet's Point Road, this winds it's way down and to the right until you
see the entrance to the park. Scan the bay from the beach here.