Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 29, 2019

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture            1240          47717          48208
Osprey                       0              5             35
Bald Eagle                   1             27             78
Northern Harrier             0             91            265
Sharp-shinned Hawk          40           1779           3857
Cooper's Hawk                3             72             83
Northern Goshawk             0              1              1
Red-shouldered Hawk         10            195            195
Broad-winged Hawk            0            538          64336
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk             36            743            858
Rough-legged Hawk            1              1              1
Golden Eagle                 0              4              4
American Kestrel             0            125            698
Merlin                       0             15             31
Peregrine Falcon             0             31             46
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              1
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                    1331          51344         118697

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter:        Kevin Georg

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Mark Hainen, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
We did have some visitors today and for the most part they came during the
busy part of the day. It's always nice to introduce newcomers to migration
on a day when there are birds to see.

Weather:
A clear blue sky to start, replaced in short order by a latticework of
cloud showing deep blue though the gaps. The sky took on a more threatening
tone as the day progressed with heavy grey clouds filling the sky and
darkening the day. Winds from S to SW kept most of the birds to our north
although the early hours were fairly busy. Barometer rose slightly from a
start of 30.1. Possible rain was spotted out on the lake.

Raptor Observations:
Turkey vultures made up for a couple of slow days with 1240 birds. 40
sharp-shins escorted 3 Cooper's hawk for the accipiter contingent. 36
red-tails and 10 red-shoulders made up most of the buteos with one notable
exception. Our first rough-legged hawk made a welcome appearance today, a
light morph that escaped our cameras due to distance off. 1 interesting
bald eagle in the last stages of transition to adult plumage was seen.

Non-raptor Observations:
A bright day to start that ended up with a rather gloomy look to it with
numbers of birds dropping off big time late in the day. In the morning
hours we saw flights of red-winged blackbirds and rusty blackbirds. Crows
were on the move in moderate numbers early but tapered off. Ducks are still
on the move far out over the lake.

Predictions:
As I write this, the next day's forecast looks like a rain-out. The radar
does not really show where this possible two-day rain-out is coming from so
we will see what we will see.
Report submitted by Jerry Jourdan (jerry.jour...@gmail.com)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo -  Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/detroit-river-international-wildlife-refuge/detroit-river-hawk-watch-fall-2019