Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 03, 2019

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture             453           1486          49694
Osprey                       0              0             35
Bald Eagle                   3              6             84
Northern Harrier             0              4            269
Sharp-shinned Hawk          19             56           3913
Cooper's Hawk                0              2             85
Northern Goshawk             0              0              1
Red-shouldered Hawk         37             67            262
Broad-winged Hawk            0              0          64336
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk             86            198           1056
Rough-legged Hawk            0              1              2
Golden Eagle                 2              3              7
American Kestrel             0              1            699
Merlin                       0              0             31
Peregrine Falcon             1              3             49
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              1
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                     601           1827         120524

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter:        Kevin Georg

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Don Sherwood, Mark Hainen, Raburn Howland,
                  Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
We did have a few visitors today and did have something to show them.
Unfortunately, the winds kept most of the birds on the far side of the slip
and overhead flights were high and mostly wide.

Weather:
Another day with a constantly changing vista of cloud formations of varying
colors and textures. Eventually the skies were mostly clear and the sun
provided welcome heat to the watchers. Winds again were from the southern
quarter with a little west thrown in for good measure. They diminished
during the watch but still provided a head wind for the raptors. Barometer
was mostly steady at 30.15 although it did dip a little at the beginning.

Raptor Observations:
Despite the winds, the raptors were on the move. 453 turkey vultures seemed
have issues deciding on a flight line meandering around the sky searching
for the path of least resistance. Buteos were well represented with 86
red-tails and 36 red-shoulders. 19 sharp-shins were well spread out
throughout the day. 2 golden eagles were seen at a distance and a peregrine
falcon flew into our field on view as we were looking at another bird.
Better to be lucky than good sometimes.

Non-raptor Observations:
The tree swallow numbers seemed to diminish today but they move around with
the insect hatch. A pair of common goldeneye flew by today. A rare
occurrence back in our little part of the lake. Other waterfowl were seen
migrating in the distance, too far away to be ID'ed. The tundra swans
continued their noisy flights overhead. Crows were on the move with nearly
three thousand counted.

Predictions:
Increasing winds from the SSW (Again!) and a falling barometer would not
seem to favor the site. There is some rain in the neighborhood but it will
probably pass to the north. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that most of
the birds will do the same thing as the are pushed away from us by the
winds. Hope springs eternal though and we will man the ramparts again
letting none pass uncounted.
Report submitted by Andrew Sturgess (ajye...@gmail.com)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo -  Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/detroit-river-international-wildlife-refuge/detroit-river-hawk-watch-fall-2019