There is a Purple Sandpiper at the Leslie Street Spit that has been at this
location for three days including today (8 December). It has been on a TO whats
app but not on OntBirds. Although not a great rarity, this species seems less
common in Ontario than in former years and I am sure there are many birders who
would like to see this bird especially as it is very confiding and you can get
within 10 feet of it.

The catch is that it is one hell of a walk (4.5km) from the parking lot at the
base of the spit to the NW corner of peninsula B where it has been hanging out
just beyond the makeshift blind there. It works the rubble rocks past all the
ground nests of cormorants. Late this afternoon it was near a washed-up tree
stump. I have copied a map of the spit below.

Two others catches; 1) it is in Toronto and 2) the signs say the spit is closed
on weekdays until after 4:00 p.m. I'm not sure if this is a hard and fast rule.
Perhaps. You would have to really hoof it to get to the bird from the base of
the spit from 4:00 p.m.

As I guide, you walk over the floating bridge (lift bridge on map) and then
pass a porta-potty after about 200m. From here it is about another 800m until
you come to the side trail (on right -where there are two large rocks
highlighting the trail. ) that takes you out to Peninsula B right where the
bird was.

Take Lakeshore Blvd. to Leslie St., turn south and continue to the gate. Cars
are not allowed on the Spit but parking is available at the gate.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tommy+thompson+park+trail+map&sxsrf=ACYBGNQ4nM5OBW0knQP06H-KaxAhQEf2OA:1575856359854&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=x73bKpfBjCMGdM%253A%252CS5a_2ylATJ-QkM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQh6jRF5fAz5yuPAnpW9lxFV37itA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi07660uqfmAhVDmuAKHbhJBm8Q9QEwBnoECAcQEg#imgrc=EKIZsNZTupZk1M:&vet=1

Bill