*66th Pickering CBC – December 28, 2019*

      We held our 66th Christmas Bird Count for Pickering on Saturday
December 28, 2019.  The count was sponsored by Pickering Naturalists.  A
total of 68 species were tallied, slightly below our ten year average of
69.0 species.  The highest count of the past decade was 77 species in 2012.
This year, there were 40 field observers and 10 feeder watchers, just less
than our record of 51 observers last year.  These participants tallied 18,
380 individual birds, somewhat higher than our 10 year average of 17, 358,
but well below our 10 year maximum of 31,500 birds in 2012.  The 13 teams
for this year were a-field all day, amassing over 83 hours of high-quality
birding time.

      Although Pickering experienced some rather wintery conditions earlier
in the month, the count day itself was quite mild.  Temperatures ranged
from minus 2 at sunrise up to a high of plus 3 between late afternoon and
dusk.  Mixed sun and cloud at daybreak soon gave way to mainly sunny skies,
and there was only a very light breeze.  Creeks were open and flowing, but
ponds and other still waters varied from frozen in shady spots to open
where the sun prevailed.  There were only scattered traces of snow and ice
in the bush, and dirt trails became very muddy indeed by the afternoon.  The
lack of snow cover meant that many feeders were unproductive (and often
empty altogether), although there were exceptions.

      An overall total of 154 species have been seen on the count since its
inception in 1949.  Note that there was an unfortunate hiatus of five years
from 1995 to 1999, when no local CBC count took place, and there was no joy
in Mudville.

     No additional species were added this year.  Unusual species for this
year’s CBC included Greater White-fronted Goose (1 – only the second
record, the first was 2 in 2012), Canvasback (2 – the third record,
previously seen in 1972 and 1991), Eastern Bluebird (1 – only the seventh
record), Chipping Sparrow (1 – likewise only the seventh record, and the
first since 2013), and Ring-necked Duck (1 – ninth record overall, and only
the second in the last ten years).

      Good news stories of the year included three species on the increase
– Trumpeter Swan (47 – highest ever, previous maximum was 34 in 2018),
Red-bellied Woodpecker (17 – ten year average is 12.2, maximum was 28 in
2017), and Common Raven (22 – has only seen on our CBC since 2008, but is
increasing steadily).

     High counts were obtained for Carolina Wren (3 – highest ever,
previous maximum was 2, seen in three years - 1993, 2010 and 2016),
Cooper’s Hawk (9 – highest ever, previous maximum was 8 in 2008), and
Herring Gull (826 – the highest since 2004, ten year average is 147,
maximum ever was 4983 in 1986).

      The story was very black and white for our two foremost aliens – in
(this) space, everyone can hear me scream!  European Starlings were at an
all-time high at 4003 (previous maximum was 3618 in 2016).  Mute Swans, at
108, were only marginally below the all-time high of 110, set in 2017.

      Three species of waterfowl yielded low counts, namely Canada Goose
(8218 – well below the ten year average 10, 337.3), American Black Duck
(21, less than half of the ten year average of 44.8), and Mallard (217,
only ~one-fifth of the ten-year average of 1209.6).

     Songbirds in reduced numbers included Black-capped Chickadee (376,
less than half of the ten year average of 644.7), American Robin (27, much
lower than the ten year average), American Tree Sparrow (35, much lower
than the ten year average of 206.0), Dark-eyed Junco (152, well below the
ten year average of 461, and the lowest tally since 1969!) and Brown-headed
Cowbird (2, well below the ten year average of 27.4).   It is likely that
the mild weather resulted in American Robins being much more dispersed than
usual, and so less likely to be found and counted.  As noted previously,
weather was probably also a factor in the low tallies for feeder birds.

     The most notable misses for this year’s CBC were Rough-legged Hawk and
Purple Finch, each seen on 8 of the last ten CBCs.  Also missing in
(birding) action were Great Blue Heron and Swamp Sparrow (each seen on
seven out of the last ten CBCs), and Barred Owl and Pine Siskin (each seen
on six out of the last ten CBCs).

     Three species, all ducks, were seen during count week, but not found
on the CBC day itself.  These elusive waterfowl were: Hooded Merganser
(seen on 7 of the last 10 CBCs), Northern Pintail (seen on 5 of the last 10
CBCs) and Lesser Scaup (seen on only one of the last 10 CBCs).  Thanks to
Graham Crawshaw and Jean Iron for these additional observations.

     And now for a count week birding mystery question – “Why did the
Short-eared Owl cross the road?”  Answer – to avoid being tallied for the
PN CBC count week by our raptor-eyed observers!  (The road it crossed - or
rather failed to cross - was the York-Durham Townline!)

     The Pickering CBC was initiated by Dr. J. Murray Speirs on Jan. 2,
1949.  The count area extends from the shores of Lake Ontario north to the
Oak Ridges moraine.  It is centred at latitude 43.902 degrees north, and
longitude 79.097 degrees west.  The CBC area incorporates the neighbouring
community of Ajax, as well as portions of Lynde Shores Conservation Area,
including part of Cranberry Marsh, in Durham Region.

      Please visit our website at www.pickeringnaturalists.org for more
information on the club.

     A warm thank-you is extended to all of the field counters and feeder
watchers.  We particularly appreciate the hospitality of Jonathan and
Rosemary Oliver who hosted our wrap-up – and allowed us to visit their
outstanding feeding station!  Our sincere thanks to: our previous CBC
compilers, including Glenda Jones, who kept our binoculars keenly focused
for the last 11 years; Dan Shire and Karen McKillop, who ran the wrap-up,
assembled the final tallies, and completed data entry; and Carolyn King,
who provided much additional research.  This year’s compiling, including
any errors, omissions, or CBC dis-information / midnight mis-tweets, are
the responsibility of yours truly, who compiled the results, and now knows
precisely how many angelic finches can dance on the head of a pin (or a
distlefink feeder).

Sorry for the late posting,

Steve LaForest,   Pickering Naturalists