Folks-

The long overdue adult Glaucous-winged Gull was seen originally on Dec 18th and
was at the Algoma Landfill for about 2hours. from 930-1130. It then left
heading towards the St. Mary’s River. Stan Phippen later spotted it at the
rapids of the St.Mary’s River across from Whitefish Island. Despite intensive
searching it was not seen yesterday or today.

Please note the Algoma Landfill is an industrial site and although certain
areas are open to local dropping of garbage the industrial area is quite remote
to this a very much off limits. The roads to get there are about 2 feet deep
with mud and impassable except by 4 wheel drive large trucks. They have asked
me to make this very clear that they will not be open to visitors except for
the usual local garbage drop offs.

I posted multiple photos on a E-bird checklist

https://ebird.org/checklist/S77748777 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S77748777>

With Glaucous-winged Gull the question of hybridization will always arise.
Being familiar with this species from both of its hybrid zones in the Pacific
Northwest (with Western Gull) and Cook Inlet (with Herring Gull) as well as in
areas were it is relatively isolated and ‘'pure” such as the outer Aleutians
and Northeast Asia I feel that this bird is certainly about as “pure appearing”
as is possible. This has been pretty much the consensus of those(many who are
very familiar with this question)who have reviewed the photographs. I am
certainly open to any comments and will of course submit the record to the ORBC
for their determination.

If it is relocated at any point it will be reposted to this forum

Kirk Zufelt
--

Ontbirds and Birdnews are moderated email Listservs provided by the Ontario
Field Ornithologists (OFO) as a service to all birders in Ontario.

Ontbirds is reserved for sightings of provincially rare birds. To post a
message on Ontbirds, send an email to: birdalert@ontbirds.ca. If you have any
questions or concerns, contact the Ontbirds Moderators by email at
birdal...@ofo.ca. Please review posting rules and guidelines at
http://ofo.ca/site/content/listserv-guidelines

To edit your membership settings visit the Ontbirds setup page at: