There's also an interesting question posted over at Reddit - will
Lightning payment hubs be treated as money transmitters in the US?

https://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoin_uncensored/comments/3gjnmd/lightning_may_not_be_a_scaling_solution/

A payment hub operator working with brand name merchants like Disney and
Gap would most likely adopt any licensing and AML/KYC regulations.

Some folk might thus find themselves forced to use anonymous hubs with
strict routing requirements to avoid commercial hubs.  Given the reduced
number of available channels, this could drive up lightning network fees
for those folk.

Of course, two parties can avoid any intermediary by using a regular
on-chain transaction, but it might not be feasible if Bitcoin is
operating as a settlement network with high transaction fees.