On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Jorge Timón <jti...@jtimon.cc> wrote:

> Apparently that existed already: http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/
> But technical people run away from noise while non-technical people
> chase them wherever their voices sounds more loud.

Regarding disruptors, if there are clear rules about what is acceptable on
-dev, one can simply moderate out offenders. It's absolutely necessary we
have a forum where we can share and discuss purely academic and technical
matters. No-one can accuse censorship because all moderation would say
would be to "take it to the other list". It's essential for all people who
are developing and maintaining Bitcoin protocol software, or services that
rely on it. The mailing list used to be very low volume.

While we are at it, we should also think about a bitcoin-announce read only
list which consumers of Bitcoin Core can subscribe for announcements about
new versions of Bitcoin Core, and any critical warnings. Miners and service
providers would particularly benefit from this. The list is moderated so
only say Bitcoin Core commit engineers are allowed to post.

> One thing that I would like though, is separating Bitcoin
> Core-specific development from general bips and consensus discussions.

The potential downside is too much separation becomes confusing although I
would not oppose such a change. My own suggestion would be try just a -dev
and -discuss list and see how that goes first. It used to work well.
Whatever the case I am very confident we need a general discussion mailing
list.